September 8, 2013

Home made Burrito Bowl \ Burrito

I love Chipotle Burrito bowls and I bet everyone does. I think I should thank Steve Ells, founder of Chipotle for coming up with such a simple and nutrition packed recipes that taste good too.
I typically do not like Mexican food, reason being most of the restaurants make dishes with lots of cheese, making them soggy and hard to eat. ( Or may be I have visited wrong restaurants ;)). Burritos are exception to it. They are quick, easy and clean and that's why I prefer making them at home as well.
 
Below recipe is the outcome of my visits to Chipotle and there informative website.

Ingredients:

Salsa - I prepared Tomato based salsa at home. Generally you get lot many varieties in the market. You can prefer whatever you like, the spice levels of these are different and hence having a different variety each time you prepare burritos add a new flavor. Here is the recipe of the salsa I made:

Heat some oil in a skillet, when warm, add chopped onions and sauté. Add chopped tomatoes (more in quantity than onion) to it. Then add chopped red\green bell peppers. Add red chili powder, salt, little cumin -coriander powder, lemon juice, chopped cilantro and cook for 2 minutes.
You can adjust the spice level as per your desired taste. Other optional ingredients are chopped jalapenos, corn etc.




Lemon + Coriander Rice - No special type of rice. I used basmati, as that's the one which is always available in my kitchen. You have 2 options either cook rice in rice cooker, or in a microwave or any other method that you prefer. The rice should not be sticky, the more the grains are separate it better. Once done, add chopped cilantro and lime juice to the rice.

Black Beans - Get any canned black beans. Vegetarian folks should make sure you read ingredients.

Vegetables- Fresh, sliced green bell peppers and red onion sautéed in a touch of oil with oregano. Sauté only until bright and slightly crisp.

Cheese - I am not expert in cheese and hence I just preferred a readymade shredded Mexican cheese blend that is usually available in stores like Fred Meyer or Target. If not, you can very well use shredded Jack and Cheddar cheese.
 
Sour Cream - Buy this from any food store.

Guacamole - only if you like :)

Lettuce - Fresh and chopped Romaine Lettuce, adds crunchiness and freshness to Burrito.



Method:

Basically everyone who has visited Mexican restaurants like Chipotle knows how to make a burrito bowl. But I would still have a one liner here :)

In a bowl, take rice, spread beans on top of it, add vegetables, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, cheese. Mix well before you eat. 

Tips:

  • Health Tip: Use brown rice instead of white. Brown rice contains more fiber than white.
  • Health Tip: Go for a reduced fat or non-fat version of sour cream if you are weight conscious.
  • Make Burrito, by wrapping this all in a corn tortilla.
 

4 comments:

  1. Super delicious and healthy dish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade and healthy.Loved the colours.First time here. Glad to follow:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Visit http://ipinrecipes.com/ to Pin, Organize and Share Recipes You Like.

    Happy Pinning!!!

    Regards
    iPinRecipesTeam

    ReplyDelete
  4. So tempted to grab a bowl n finish it in a while :) Absolute delish!!! Just redirected to your page n found few yummy dishes here!!! Great... Happy to connect you :)

    Visit me @ www.cookingwithsj.com

    ReplyDelete

Dear friend,

Thanks for stopping by 'Treat your Tongue'
Your comments are a motivation and learning for me, helping me to improve my cooking methods :)